The only criteria is that the songs are still enjoyable after 10+ listens. If the links below don’t work in your area, you can locate most of the tracks on spotify.
1) Let it Happen by Tame Impala
(Despite its 7 min running time, manages to draw you in)
3) Love Me Like You Do by Ellie Goulding
(Better than the movie)
4) Strange by Laura Marling
(Could have been written 50 years ago. A folk song for the ages)
5) King Kunta by Kendrick Lamar
6) Play for Today by Belle and Sebastian
(An overlooked contemporary classic)
7) When The Lights Turn Out by Twin Shadow
(The stand-out from his patchy new album)
8) Here by Alessia Cara
(An anthem for introverts)
9) Queen’s Speech (Ep.4) by Lady Leshurr
(Queen’s Speech is a series, not a song. Four volumes of freestyles – 1 2 3 4. With more yet to come. Admittedly a bit preachy, lyrics quite fun and 2015ish. Enough energy to entertain on multiple listens)
10) That’s Life, Tho (Almost Hate To Say) by Kurt Vile
(Soothing guitar. The lyrics feel timeless and relatable. About accepting your circumstances and getting on with life)
As usual, the most interesting year-end list was provided by Said The Gramophone, who I thank for introducing me to several new artists, including Lady Leshurr and Alessia Cara.
How many of these do you know? Which are your favorites of 2015? In the next week or two, I’ll post my top 10 albums of the year.